Here is a quick run-down on why we love these Chocolate Sesame Squares so much and are confident that you will too. They tick all of these boxes:
✔️Extra chocolatey flavor
✔️No added sugar
✔️High fiber and plant-based
✔️Gluten-free, dairy-free, and nut-free (for anyone with those restrictions)
✔️Quick and easy no-bake recipe
This is a recipe we included in Sugarproof that we have gotten rave reviews from testers on. We wanted to share it with you now so you can start enjoying them ASAP. They are really quick to make and are super satisfying. This recipe is perfect for an easy treat to make with kids (or for older kids to make themselves.) The dough is very easy to work with and kids can also turn it into fun shapes, like in this spooky version for Halloween.
So get out your food processor, give them a go, and let us know what you think!
Sugarproof No-Bake Chocolate Sesame Squares
• 3/4 cup sesame seeds (black or white), plus 2 teaspoons for sprinkling on top
• 1/3 cup tahini
• 1 ½ cup unsweetened dates, pitted (around 8oz without pits)
• 1/2 cup rolled oats (use gluten free if desired)
• 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
• 2 tablespoons water
• A pinch salt
1. Combine all of the ingredients (except for the extra sesame seeds) in a food processor. Pulse until the dates and oats become uniformly chopped and all of the other ingredients are blended. The mixture should start to pull away from the sides of the food processor and collect towards the center. Try pinching it, and if it remains too crumbly to press into a dough, add an extra tablespoon of water at a time and continue to blend until the mixture comes together.
2. Line a 8x 8 inch baking pan with non-stick parchment paper, allowing for at least 2 inches of paper to hang over on two of the sides. (You can also use a 9×13 pan if you prefer thinner squares.)
3. Put the mixture into the lined pan and cover with another sheet of parchment paper. Using something flat like the bottom of a measuring cup, press down on top of the paper, pushing the mixture out toward the sides of the pan, creating a uniformly thick layer.
4. Sprinkle the 2 teaspoons of sesame seeds over the top.
5. Put the pan into the refrigerator and chill for at least 30 minutes. Lift the pressed mixture out of the pan using the sides of the paper. Transfer to a cutting board and slice into 2×2 inches squares.
6. Store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week or freeze the cut squares for up to 3 months.
Nutrition Facts per Serving (1 square): Calories 70 Total Fat 3.5 g Protein 2g Total Carbohydrate 10 g Dietary Fiber 2 g Total Sugars 6 g Added Sugars 0 g
For more recipes like this one, see our new book, Sugarproof, which you can find here or anywhere books are sold.