We have had such a great response on our 4 Ingredient Sugarproof Creme Eggs that we decided to add another little Easter treat to the mix as well. We hope you like this one too!
It’s another fun and easy project to do with kids over the break as the 3 ingredient “dough” for the nests is no-bake and great for little ones to roll and form. The chocolate eggs are simply almonds dipped in dark chocolate, made with the same method we use for dipping the Creme Eggs, so if you are making those, it wouldn’t take much extra time to make these as well.
We would love to see pics if you make these. Please post on IG or FB and tag us @sugarproofkids!
Mini Easter Nests with Chocolate Almond Eggs
Makes 1 dozen
½ cup (35g) dried/desiccated, unsweetened coconut
½ cup (75g) dates
2 Tablespoons almond butter
Pinch of sea salt
24 raw or roasted almonds (about ¼ cup or 25g)
Dark chocolate for coating (about 30g or 1 ounce)
- Put the coconut, dates, almond butter, and salt in a food processor and pulse until you get a uniform texture and a dough starts to form.
- Shape the dough into 12 balls about 1” in diameter each. Then push into the center of each of them and shape them into nests/shallow cups.
- Put about 2” of water into a small saucepan and bring to a simmer.
- Set a small heat-safe bowl on top of the saucepan (stainless steel works well) and add the chocolate to the bowl.*
- Gently move the chocolate around with a fork to help it to melt evenly.
- Once melted, carefully remove the bowl from the heat and set it on a dish towel.
- Add the almonds and turn them around using the fork until they are fully coated. Lift them out of the chocolate one by one using the fork to allow excess to drip back into the bowl and transfer two of them to each nest.
- Allow them to cool and the chocolate to harden. You can put them in the refrigerator to make this go faster.
*If you prefer using a microwave, instead of steps 4-6, simply put the chocolate in a microwave safe bowl and melt it that way, starting with around 15 seconds.
NUTRITION FACTS PER NEST:
CALORIES 80 TOTAL FAT 6G PROTEIN 2G TOTAL CARBOHYDRATE 7G DIETARY FIBER 2G TOTAL SUGARS 5G ADDED SUGARS 0G